Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 01:59:31 -0500
From:
William Elkus <[log in to unmask]>

Yesterday, Karyn S. Friedman <[log in to unmask]> said:

>I beg of you, PLEASE, someone tell me that Rice Dream is gluten-free.  It's
>the only beverage my toddler can/will drink (he has a severe problem with
>dairy).  What are the alternatives?  Suicide????  ARRRRGGH!

Alas, unless they have changed the process, Rice Dream is NOT gluten-free, as
they use barley enzymes to prepare the rice.  I have personally spoken with
their food chemist, and posted about the results to this list several times.
If you cannot find them in the archives, please write to me privately at
<[log in to unmask]> and I will get it for you.

However, from my discussions with Imagine Foods, the producer of Rice Dream,
it appears that the amount of gluten is rather small.  The topic of 'how much
gluten is too much' is quite controversial amongst different groups within
the US, and in other countries.  After reading up on this topic and about
Rice Dream, you may decide that you are very comfortable with Rice Dream.

As for alternatives, Don Wiss just published an excellent summary of milk
substitutes.  To get it, send an email to [log in to unmask] with the
body GET CELIAC MILKALT CELIAC

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles