Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 1995 09:53:26 -0400

Now I'm confused!  I thought I had the question of alcohol, vis a vis Celiac,
pretty well straightened out, until I read this morning's posting.

Based on earlier postings on this list, and information received from an
informed individual, my understanding of the situation is this (though I am
prepared to be corrected):

        a) brandy and rum are safe because there is no malting process
        involved;

        b) the COLORLESS grain liquors, gin and vodka, are O.K. because
        there is no malting process, and gluten does not carry over in the
        distillation process;

        c) colored liquors, like Irish whiskey, scotch and rye, are nominally
        safe, BUT some distilleries put these liquors back into the malting
        process after distillation to improve the color (I think I have that
        right) where there could be contamination;

        d) beer is definitely out because of the malting process.

        So, if you are a Scotch or "Irish" or rye drinker (see "c"), the only
solution, if you are not prepared to switch, is to contact the distillers.  In
Ireland, for example, there is a distilling conglomerate which, like all
companies, has a dept. that deals with consumers' concerns-- I intend to write
to them, at some point.

        I AM NOT AN EXPERT, so will happily defer to someone on the list who
is.  Also, if anyone on the list has already taken the initiative of
contacting distillers, sharing your findings would be appreciated.