From:
Jill Fain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 1995 11:05:17 -0400

Walter,

A friend of mine who is a doctor called me last night to tell me about
this study, which is written up in the latest (?) October issue of the
New England Journal of Medicine. It was done in Finland I think and
compared two groups of celiac adults with controls (I think there were
around 20-25 people in each group but I'm not sure).  One group was
made up of adults in "remission" (i.e. no intestinal trauma according
to the biopsy) and the other group was made up of recently diagnosed
celiacs. Adults in the experimental conditions ingested moderate
amounts of oats in their daily diets while the controls did not. After
some time (6 months?) biopsy revealed neither evidence of new trauma
in the GF group nor slower "remission" times in the newly-diagnosed
group. Their conclusion: oats in moderate amounts are ok.  There is a
letter to the editor in the same issue which seems fairly laudatory
wrt the methodology of the study.

Apologies if I have screwed up in the details of the study (I'm
doing this from memory)...perhaps one of the physicians who reads
this list and has read the NEJM article can correct/elaborate.

Jill Fain Lehman
Pittsburgh