From:
"J. Murray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 1995 00:05:00 -0500

I am intriqued by the story of a celiac having 6 endoscopies in one
year.  It seems unlikely that celiac disease alone could necessitate that
# of biopsies.  I presume these were for other reason like to treat a
narrowing. If someone has a endoscopy with adequate biopsies of the small
intestine which identifiy the abnormalities in the intestine, there is little
reason to rebioipsy that person within 6 months unless there is a concern
for some other problem.  It is too early to check for healing to do it
less that 6 months after starting the diet. I have heard of people having
a repeat biopsy after only 6 weeks to check for healing, that is too
short a time. Some patients will not need another biopsy.
The decision to rebiopsy and when is not simple and should be
individualised to the patients situation.
Not medical advice
Joe Murray
Univ of Iowa