Date:
Sun, 28 May 1995 16:06:21 -0400

This was distributed at the Celiac Disease Foundation Meeting last
Saturday. Please forgive typing errors. I thought it was important that
we each try to contact our representatives and let them know how we
feel. If there will ever be a major effort to test for Celiac Disease, and
make our numbers know, it will be done through the efforts of our
local organizations in conjunction with the NIH

FROM A BULLETIN ISSUED AT THE NATIONAL DIGESTIVE
DISEASE WEEK IN SAN DIEGO.

There is a potential crisis brewing in Washington as misinformed
legislators point their budget-cutting efforts at the National Institutes
of Health (NIH). NIH, the leading biomedical research center in the
world, is a national investment which saves our country hundreds of
dollars in the long-run for every dollar spent today.
The US House of Representatives Budget Committee, however wants
to slash $2.5 billion from the NIH budget over 7 years and there has
been discussion in the Senate about cutting NIH funding by 10% this
year.
These cuts will not save money! Research supported by the NIH has
linked H.Pylori bacteria in the upper GI tract to chronic gastritis and
duodenal ulcer and the resulting new treatment techniques will save as
much at $400 million per year in health care costs.  (snip)
Congress and its Budget Committees need to hear from constituents
and experts in the field that NIH is an important investment our
country must make, not only to improve our health but also to save our
money.  (snip), The message goes on to give sample letters that we
might write. I feel we can do that on our own. It also lists the capital
switchboard number  (202) 224 3121. and suggests calling our
representatives  Most of our representatives also have Email addresses,
which our on-line services probably list. I suggest we really get a
response going as soon as possible. The House and Senate committees
have passed their bills this week, but will have to goto conference. Our
voices can and should be heard.  Cheers from Orange County Bory