From:
"Donald D. Kasarda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 1995 15:05:11 PDT

John Tisdale states (an excerpt from a longer communication):

>A close friend and physician suggested that it was the gluten in the
>wheat that was the problem.  After removing wheat from my diet at age
>23, all headaches subsided (bleached wheat did not cause headaches for
>me).

I would just like to point out that bleaching of flour has no effect on
gluten proteins that I am aware of.  The amino acid sequences found in
gluten proteins that trigger the intestinal changes of celiac disease would
still remain and be released to contact with the intestinal surface during
digestion.

I would also like to make an additional comment: I continue to be concerned
that the myriad personal symptoms described on this list might make many
other people with celiac disease think that these symptoms are necessarily
part of having celiac disease.  I think there is value in having this
information on the list, but whether many of these symptoms and the remedies
indicated have anything to do with celiac disease should be considered
completely unproven.  Psychological/neurological effects experienced upon
eating wheat seem to be real, but it is also quite possible that the
mechanisms involved are different from those involved in celiac disease.
There is little or no solid information available right now.  Are there
biopsy proven celiacs out there who do not recall having psychological
disturbances (other than what might be expected by anyone who is sick,
perhaps from the flu or a bad cold)?  If there are, it would be helpful to
have brief messages from them.  Also, are there any celiac patients out
there, again preferably biopsy-proven, who do not have any problems with
white vinegar or vanilla extracts.  It would be helpful to have brief
message from them as well?

Don Kasarda, Albany, CA