Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 1995 10:41:36 -0400

A number of us with children who have autism and gluten/casein sensitivity
also have trouble using most of the recipes developed for people with celiacs
only.  Along with gluten, we have to avoid all milk products and most milk
substitutes (most of the soy milks have added casein).  To add to that, my
son also cannot tolerate eggs and tree nuts.  A couple of bread recipes for
sandwiches I use are:

Flatbreads

         [This recipe has been removed from the logfiles, as]
         [it is copyrighted material---the CELIAC Listowners]

-----------------

Chick Pea Chipatis

         [This recipe has been removed from the logfiles, as]
         [it is copyrighted material---the CELIAC Listowners]

These recipes I found in a vegetarian cookbook, _The All Natural Allergy
Cookbook:  Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free_ by Jeanne Marie Martin, Harbour
Publishing, P.O. Box 219, Madiera Park, BC Canada V0N 2H0.  This book has
some good recipes, not all truly gluten or dairy free however.  Another one
that my son likes for lunches is:

Tofu Fruit Smoothie

2 cups fresh strawberries
2 large bananas
4 oz. tofu
1/8-1/4 cup liquid sweetener (honey, fructose, whatever works for your child)
2-3 tsp vanilla flavoring (I'd use the vanilla bean in the potato vodka tip)
Water or Juice

Freeze the fruit before blending .  (You can also use blueberries,
rasberries, peaches, pears, kiwis, whatever your child likes and can
tolerate.)  Blend all ingredients thoroughly, adding just enough water or
juice to bring the smoothie to the desired consistency.

Remember that if your school provides hot lunches for other children, then
you are well within your ADA, Sect 504 rights to ask that they heat up your
child's lunch for him.  In fact, by law, they are required to provide him
with a meal he can eat if they offer a lunch program to the other
non-disabled students however it will be a cold day you know where before I'd
trust my son's health to a cafeteria worker.  They might need this gentle
reminder though when you ask for a reasonable acommodation, heating up his
prepared lunch for him.  It certainly is easier to prepare good tasting and
balanced lunches when you're not limited to things that can be eaten cold.

Let me know how these recipes work for you...Chris Delnat, [log in to unmask]