Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 8 Oct 1995 14:47:40 -0400
From:
jerry wald <[log in to unmask]>

On Sun, 8 Oct 1995, Deborah Dillow wrote:

> for the "Multi_Allergy" bread.  I must warn though, there
> is one ingredient that is bothersome:  "gluten-free wheat
> starch".  I have never been able to get a straight answer

Wheat starch is one of those "strange" ingredients that is allowed by
some celiac/coeliac associations, but not by others. It is not allowed by
the Canadian and U.S. Celiac associations, because they feel that there
can be trace amounts of gluten present. A Canadian company called
"Celimix" in Winnipeg sells products with wheat starch but they describe
it as "99% gluten free", if I remember correctly. I personally question
whether wheat starch can be listed as "gluten free wheat starch". It's
too bad the company you mention uses it, because there are better
alternatives.......

Jerry in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada