From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 15:48:54 -0400

Thank-you to all with comments on my feelings about the diet and I can't
really say recovery cause I was never visibly sick.  Just to clear up a
number of questions

1) Son diagnosed as Celiac after reaching deathly ill stage (age 20 mths)

Myself;
1) Only sick as toddler and then iron deficient anemia occassionaly as an adult
2) Biopsy proven, after 1 week of loading up on gluten producst, after son
diagnosed last year
3) Member of Canadian Celiac Association and local chapter, extremely
helpful, more so than the GI, and nutritionist at the hospital where we were
diagnosed

Diet followed is strictly GF as my son reacts strongly to Gluten ingestion
and I follow the rule that what is good for Cody is good for me since I have
to be extremely careful for him.  He has no way of telling me yet when he is
sick.

I also believe that following the diet for ones self is not too bad if one
is just counting the food items you can definitely eat.  I find that either
avoiding foods, because of uncertainty of contents is the hardest because
you always wonder "is it okay".  The other thing I find hard about the diet
is trying to ensure that my 2 1/2 year old sticks to it.

I use the term celiac disease when explaining to friends, waiters, daycare
workers and find that they sit up and pay attention.  When dining out I use the
Canadian Celiac Association "celiac dining out card" that explains my condition.
We don't dine out that often with three children (2 with attention deficit
and 1 with Celiac).