From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Oct 1995 11:43:27 -0400

On Oct 04, 1995 14:15:08, 'Nathan D Justus <[log in to unmask]>'
wrote:

>Do these things cause celiac or just cause _symptoms_ to show?....but
>you may have had the disease all the time, only it was working silently.
>
>Am I off base with this?

I agree that it's not causal, but wonder about the character of "latent",
at least for the autoimmune ones. Genes are not enough, infection is not
enough so there's lots of biochemistry and microphysiology horsing around
inbetween.

More to the point on causal. My well-associated Type I diabetes came on 40
odd years ago (same infection prone Feb. for the dx) and the CD last year.
So did diabetes cause my celiac? From what little I understand of the
immunology of both there's no immediate interaction. The remnant diabetic
antibodies have no target and in any case are involved with carbohydrate
metabolism, not gluten's protein metabolism.

Perhaps a professional can better comment?

                Kemp Randolph
                Long Island