From:
"Pat W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Sep 1995 21:01:46 -0400

This is all very upsetting.  My 5 year old is Celiac as well as diabetic.
When I was at the Baltimore Conference, it seems that more often
than not that diabetes and celiac disease go hand-in-hand.  My son does get
daily injections, sometimes 4 daily, depending on how is blood sugars are.
 When we were at Johns Hopkins for his quarterly check-up, his
endocrinologist was very concerned that his sugars were up for one day,
sometimes over 300, and other days he suffers lows.  I asked her if this is
common -- she said it does happen in some children.  I then asked her if his
Celiac Disease has something to do with it even though he is on a strict
gluten-free diet.  She had no answer for this question.  I can only imagine
that his life expectancy would be shortened since he was diagnosed with
Diabetes at 2 and Celiac at 3.  Even if he did not have Diabetes, as you know
Celiac Disease is NOT an easy disease to deal with.  Perhaps we could all get
together and contact one of these networks
to see if they would air this.  It could perhaps make quite a few people
aware of Celiac symptoms, including physicians.

Pat W.