From:
"Christine R. Childs" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Apr 1995 16:51:38 -0600

On Fri, 28 Apr 1995, Theresa Vigour wrote:

> My 11-year old celiac daughter has mono (cytomegalic virus). Does any one
> know of a connection between celiac disease and mono?

According to my virology text, infectious mononucleosis is caused by the
Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV), which is a type of herpesvirus.  EBV is also
known to cause lymphomas, which are tumors caused by immortalized
lymphoma cells.  Both mono and lymphomas are related to an overproduction
of lymphocytes.  My speculation (just a spur of the moment thought! not
to be taken as medical advice, or as even a tested hypothesis) is that
celiac disease, which is a T-cell (a type of lymphocyte) mediated immune
disorder, would probably be worsened due to the increased presence of
T-cells throughout the body when someone has mono.  The only research I
have read involving viruses and celiac disease have been about the
Adenoviruses which in a 1993 paper were implicated in triggering celiac
disease.  Two papers published in 1994 say that adenovirus has been
found in healthy patients with the "celiac/diabetic" HLA type (tissue type)
and therefore are not the triggering agent of celiac.  My personal
opinion is that the whole area could use a lot more research.  Anybody
want to fund a grant ;) ? (just kidding for now, I don't get my undergrad
degrees for another year!)

Christine Childs
University of Montana