From:
Laura Johnson-Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 10:47:54 -0500

In message Mon, 3 Apr 1995 07:05:29 EST,
  [log in to unmask]  writes:

>  A few years ago I read a blurb on quinoa
> (maybe in 'Prevention') which pointed out that in some sections of Africa
> where quinoa was traditionally grown, the hardiness of the plant made it
> impervious to the usual climatic vagaries.

Quinoa was originally domesticated in the Americas (the typical quinoa is an
andean plant, but another species was once cultivated by Native Americans in
North America).  Are you sure that this reference was to quinoa rather than
to sorghum or millet or something?  I was not aware that quinoa was grown
much in Africa, and would be interested in finding out, if anyone in the
group knows.

Laura Johnson-Kelly
Ithaca, NY, USA