From:
"J.E. Cornell" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 15:35:25 EDT

News from the GF front in Maryland.

My son (age 2) is probably celiac - we do our best to keep him gluten free.
(Earlier this summer he tested positive on two of the three indicators of the
blood test - our doctor said we'd revisit the issue when he turned three.)  Our
youngest (2 and a half  months)  is unknown regarding celiac disease, but is
reaching the age when she should be considering supplements to nursing.

There are only two commercial products we feed our son - Quaker rice cakes and
Heintz Rice Cereal (which we often use as an additive to other things- like
stirring into yogurt, etc.)

My wife called Quaker and found out that we should call back every three months,
but the only rice cakes which they think are gluten free are:

Apple Cinnamon
White Cheddar
Popcorn
Low-salt

(big and small cakes)

We'd been feeding him Cinnamon Crunch and Honey Nut mini rice cakes - his
disposition improved when we stopped feeding him forbidden stuff!

My wife also called Heintz, and was informed that their Baby Rice Cereal (found
in  the baby food section of the supermarket) is NOT Gluten Free because it
contains barley malt.  When she called back to confirm this, she asked how it
could contain Barley malt, when the list of ingredients doesn't give any hint
about this, she was put on hold, and then told that they were "researching" the
matter and would call us back!

(When we get further news, I'll tell you what they tell us.)

Needless to say, we're somewhat miffed that we've been observant, read the
labels, and fed our child Gluten anyway, _without our knowledge_!

Trying to sort out the GF life in Rockville, MD

John Cornell