From:
herl jennifer l <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 09:37:33 -0500

On Mon, 2 Oct 1995, Karyn Walker wrote:

>  No one has been able to tell me what percentages a celiac should ingest in
> their diet (i.e. % of fat, protein and carbs).  If anyone has suggestions I
> would like to hear them.

I can think of no reason why the recommended percentages of calories from
fat, protein and carbohydrates should be any different for celiacs than
for the rest of the people.

Keep in mind that the new RDA of no more than 30% calories from fat was a
compromise, because they didn't think that the average American would be
willing to give up more fat than that.  20% (or less if your family has a
history of heart disease or strokes) is probably a much better number.
Most Americans also eat far too much protein, which is hard on the
kidneys (and some studies indicate that it causes calcium to be excreted
instead of absorbed).  From what I've read (books by Dean Ornish, Covert
Bailey, Raymond Kurzweil, John A. McDougall, et al), here is what I'm
trying to do:  10-15% calories from protien (cfp), 20% or less calories
from fat (cff), and 65-70% calories from carbohydrates (cfc).  Actual
amounts depend, of course, on how many calories total you eat.  This
chart may help:

Tot Cal         10-15% cfp      20% cff         65-70% cfc

1600            40-60 grams     35 grams        260-280 grams
2000            50-75 grams     44 grams        325-350 grams

(4 Cal/gram of protein or carbohydrate and 9 Cal/gram of fat)

Jenny Herl              |   "The world has enough for everyone's need,
[log in to unmask]         |    but not enough for everyone's greed."
University of Illinois  |
Urbana-Champaign        |    --attributed to Mahatma Ghandi (1869-1948)