From:
Barbara Jean Kuehl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 1995 11:14:25 -0500

>One consequence of this job will be eating out on a _very_ regular
>basis, basically every lunch and probably some dinners.  Packing
>your lunch is not an option when youre eating with clients.  For
>everyone there is a certain amount of risk you choose to, and have
>to, tolerate when it comes to eating gluten.

It IS possible to eat out and still remain gluten free, particularly
if you stick with known GF foods (i.e., salads WITHOUT croutons,
plain steak, broiled fish with no sauces, baked potatoes in the skins,
omelets, etc.)  It also helps to take your clients to restaurants
where you have eaten before and are familiar with the foods.  The
first time I eat in a restaurant is always the worse because I'm not
sure what I'm going to get ("There's no flour in it...it's made out
of whole wheat" or "There's no bread crumbs on it; we dipped it in a
batter").  And don't be embarrassed to nonchalantly mention that you
have a 'wheat allergy' and so you need to ask about crumbs, sauces
and batters.  Your biggest risk eating out is in cross contamination
from other foods or the oils and grills used to cook the meals.
My cardinal rule is simple:  When in doubt, don't eat it.

                                        BJ