From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 1995 10:25:58 EDT

Susan Owens <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>Does anyone know if butter has casein in it, or is it really all fat?

Susan, somewhere in the archives there are a few emails from me about this
topic with the names of phone numbers of my sources, but the gist of them is
that butter does still have some of the proteins from milk left in it, even
though it is predominantly fat.  Ghee, or clarified butter, has much fewer
proteins but still has traces.

My son is highly allergic to milk proteins (remember, casein is only one of
several milk proteins!) but seemed to tolerate ghee very well.  Nevertheless,
after doing my research on ghee, my wife and I decided to not use it anymore.
He did not particularily crave it, and we just substituted other fats like
Canola oil, Olive oil, Coconut Oil, Seseme and Sunflower seed oils.

Bill Elkus
Los Angeles