From:
RICHARD LOCKLEY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jun 1995 16:09:45 GMT-10

uptake of alcohol and heightened inebriating effects when on a GF
diet.

I feel very strongly that this is a subject which needs to be looked
at very carefully. From my experience I know of one person in their
fifties who died of what appeared to be alcoholism. Like myself, he
had been diagnosed as a Coeliac in the UK in infancy and thought he
had grown out of it. Only towards the end was he re-diagnosed as a
Coeliac and put on the diet but he kept drinking heavily. I never
knew the man, it was his wife who told me about it when she heard I
was a Coeliac and told me to be careful as her husband had died
because of CD.

Unlike John Dennis, I am not a minimalist alcohol drinker and have,
in the last ten years (Iam now 55), rediscovered Coeliacism and
the GF diet. I am certainly more affected by alcohol than I was in
earlier adult life and have had to cut down to just about only
drinking dry white wine, usually watered with tonic water or fruit juice.

Two and a half years ago, I was stopped for a vehicle check by the
police then asked to breath into the bag. I was over the odds and at
the station I was found to be .125 and lost my licence for a year. I
had not had a drink for over four hours and going by the recommended
guidelines for safe alcohol consumption I should hve been under the
legal limit.  I just was not metabolising the consumed alcohol and was
forced to cut right down.

Although I belong to the Victorian branch of the Australian Coeliac
Society there is no way we can air this type of question except
though the lengthy process of the magazine or at the AGM so this
discussion group is of great interest to me and I will be passing on
to the members here the advantages of a forum like this.

As to where do we acquire this 'disease', I think in my case it is
from my maternal grandfather who died in about 1914, my mother told
me before she died a few years ago that she was always worried that
her father might have been an alcoholic and was afraid it might be
passed on. I think however he died of CD complicated by alcohol(it was in
Rhodesia in Africa) after all, anyone suffering from CD back then was
completely on their own and with a severely weakened gut lining,
alcohol obviously would  play  havoc with their health.

Sorry for rambling on a bit but I could have put it all in much
greater detail and length, I look forward to any comments and thanks
for bearing with me.

RICHARD LOCKLEY
3/757 BURWOOD RD
EAST HAWTHORN