Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 22:51:59 -0500
From:
Walter & Susan Owens <[log in to unmask]>

Jim,

Just thought I'd give you an update on this young mother, and my attempts to
slip her some current information.  I gave the grandmother the celiac faq,
but I'm not sure she read it all.  A week or two later I struck up a
conversation with this same grandmother when she asked about how Grace was
doing at home gluten-free.  I said that people are saying now that you don't
get over celiac.  She said that couldn't possibly be right because her
family doctor said....(It sounds as if he is still their doctor.)  I said
something about low folate and B12 being linked to celiac.  She said her
daughter had taken folic acid for three months before she got pregnant.  I
hinted that maybe if her gut was damaged that it is possible her body
couldn't absorb it even in supplemental form.  She said she hadn't thought
of that, but she looked like she thought it was plausible and that was the
end of the conversation.

I can see so much that nothing a lay person comes up with will override a
doctor's advice who is a friend and trusted.  I'm not sure what to do at
this point. ( I kind of wish I knew the doctor's name so I could send him
some information, but that wouldn't guarantee he'd read it, either!)

Thank you, Jim, so much for referring this story upstream.  I value the
thoughts of the professionals who allowed you to repost, and hope that they
will realize the importance of getting the information out to the family
doctor.

Needing plan B,

Susan Owens