From:
Norman Dewar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 1995 06:08:04 -0400

>said that I would feel much better after following the GF diet, I would have
>more energy, blah, blah, blah.  Well here it is almost 1 year later and I
>have never felt worse in my life.  I am tired for no reason, somewhat
>depressed, ie. have had days where I feel like crying for no reason (can't
>pinpoint a reason).
>Does anyone else have this problem or do all you other celiacs feel
>wonderful since following the diet.
>
>karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Karen,  I'm one of those celiacs you probably don't want to hear from but I
felt better within a week on the gluten free diet.  Some of the immediate
benefits were from a good night's sleep.  Sitting on a toilet half the night
in agony doesn't help one's energy level.  So remember some improvements new
celiacs describe may not be nutritionally related.  Also I don't think you
can underestimate the social and emotional affect a gluten free diet has on
a new celiac.  I had the help of "experienced" celiacs during the first year
that I relied on for advice and support.  It makes a difference to have
friends that come up and ask how are you doing with your diet, and to answer
questions.  Group support is very important.  There is no  question that
initially a gluten free diet involves a major change in lifestyle.  Even the
loss of "comfort" foods is hard.  I've got small children and Kraft dinner
is a staple food.  I don't know why but that is one food I have a hard time
resisting, and I DON'T particularly like Kraft dinner.  I follow  The
Canadian Celiac Association Handbook to the letter.  They do present other
views in the handbook because you will be exposed to other less strict views
on exposure to gluten but the bottom line is they say no exposure to gluten
is acceptable.  I don't suggest that my experience is comparable to yours
but I hope my support and that of others on this list and your GP helps you
return to good health.

Wishing you well,
Norman Dewar
Prince Edward Island, Canada