Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 21 May 1995 01:48:38 GMT
From:
Timothy Partridge <[log in to unmask]>

> As some members will know, there are many parents of children with autism
> (and perhaps some other conditions) who attempt to utilise gluten-free
> diets to help their children. Unfortunately, the UK Coeliac Society is
> not prepared to give dietary advice to anyone unless there is an official
> diagnosis of coeliac diease.
>
> No doubt there are excellent reasons for this conservative approach but,
> to an outsider, it hardly seems the approach of a dynamic organisation
> fighting for the improved health and welfare of its members or others
> with severe difficulties.
>
> Paul Shattock

I'm not speaking on behalf of the UK society, but my understanding is
that it regards itself a Coeliac and DH society, not a gluten free
society. It also is concerned that people should only start a gluten
free diet once there has been a proper medical diagnosis of the
coeliac condition. It doesn't want to encourage self diagnosis, with
the dangers that involves.

The society is about to reconstitute itself to ensure it continues
to comply with UK law about charities. This extract may be of interest:

"The objects for which the Society is established are:-

 (i)   to help and to premote the benefit and welfare of persons with
       Gluten Enteropathy, Dermatitis Herpetiformis or any medical
       condition akin thereto (in these Memorandum and Articles of
       Association referred to as "the Coeliac Condition"); and

 (ii)  to advance public education in and understanding of the nature of
       the Coeliac Condition and its treatments particularly (without
       predudice to that generality) amoung sufferers from the Coeliac
       Condition and the families, friends and carers of such persons;

 (iii) to promote research into the nature, causes, alleviation,
       treatment and cure of the Coeliac Condition and to make publicly
       available the useful results thereof."

The society has made research donations totalling 127,826 pounds sterling
(roughly $200,000) over the last two years, but is having difficulties finding
projects of a suitable nature to sponsor. I understand that they have recently
advertised a grant of 50,000 pounds ($80,000) a year for three to five years
and are now evaluating the applications. Most of the society's income is from
donations.

   Tim