From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 1995 10:41:54 EST

from "Don Wiss" at Mar 31, 95 11:49 pm

> If it says "corn and lime" than it is not GF. My source is (1) my own
> reactions, noted from Garden of Eatin' corn tortillas and Black Bean Chips,
> and (2) confirmed with the NOSMG group which had noted that their members

We must be careful about labeling things as "not GF" due to reactions.  Many
people "react" to other substances besides gluten.  MSG, milk, soy, and corn
can cause ALLERGIC reactions in a lot of people, both celiacs and non-celiacs.
If a large number of celiacs react to a product, then it is best to probably
avoid it.  But if only a few celiacs indicate having a problem with a product,
it might not be a gluten reaction at all.

> If you're still concerned then there is the gluten testing kit.

Unless they've recently been improved, you should be warned that these test
kits do not test for oats.  Therefore, you must ensure that the product being
tested is oat-free before you can trust the test results.  Note that some
products are now being made with a fat substitute made from oats (oattrim?),
so check the label carefully.

                   --- Jim Lyles ([log in to unmask]) ---