From:
Rebecca Markle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 1995 20:30:06 -0400

On Mon, 3 Apr 1995, J. Murray wrote:

> the observation that CD may become apparent after a viral infection is a
> common phenomenon in many autoimune diseases as well as GI inflammatory
> states.  I have seen 2 cases of inflammatory bowel that occurred after an
> attack of CMV ( a common and usualy very benign disease in healthy
> people. This could be related to the non-specific stimulation of the
> immune system or a more specific incutement of a reaction to a host (
> patient ) protein leading to disease. The example that has been suggested
> in CD is Adenovirus 12.  see multiple references under KAgnoff M.

I got a copy of Kagnoff's "Evidence for the role of a human intestinal
adenovirus in the pathogenesis of coeliac disease"...as I remember, he
took specimens from patients in London & LA, analyzed them & found human
adenovirus serotype 12 in the vast majority of the samples.  He did not
find any evidence of that virus in cultures from patients suffering other
bowel diseases (Crohn's & diverticulitis, I think, were the compared to
diseases).

The stumbling block I've had all along for myself is I think I had the
"wrong" virus for the disease, as I am asymptomatic for diarrhea. And my
symptoms parallel what people call chronic fatigue.  There are probably
so few of us asymptomatics around, nobody's had a chance to get us
together & do a survey to see if we also have adenovirus 12.

It's like I'm taking a step back & am looking at this as an auto-immune
dysfunction triggered by more than one virus, and each viral infection
has its own set of symptoms.

I guess we need more asymptomatics represented here, eh?

Bec