From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 1995 08:47:19 -0500

When reading through the autism newsgroup I found a reference to their
FAQ, which I downloaded.  The author clearly needs help from someone with
a GF point-of-view, as evidenced by the outright gaps below.  Could some
of us help him?  The total FAQ is 92,749 bytes.  If someone without FTP
capabilities emails me I can send them whole thing.

Autism Frequently Asked Questions Memo, February 20, 1995

Edited by John Wobus, Syracuse University Computing Services
Availability:   http://web.syr.edu/~jmwobus/faqs/autism.faq
          or:   ftp://ftp.syr.edu/information/faqs/autism.faq
Please send corrections to [log in to unmask]

[Note: there are always blanks to fill in; comments such as these are
 interspersed throughout the document with suggests as to what people
 might contribute.  Note to new readers: the list of books is rather
 good; the discussion of treatments, coping, etc, is definitely
 incomplete -ed]

[snip...]

4) Similar Conditions

  There are a number of diseases which cause children to display some
  of the symptoms of autism.  Also, on occasion, brain injury has
  caused people to display some of the symptoms of autism.  Some
  diseases:

[snip...]

  Celiac's disease - (Gluten intolerance?)

[snip...]

5) Theories/Causes

  There is no theory of the cause of autism which everyone has found
  convincing.  Thus we will review some of the proposed causes.

  [this section doesn't say much yet: we need to add list & short
  descriptions of current theories-ed]

[snip...]

6) Facts

  Aside from the controversy surrounding the theories of autism, there
  are a number of well-established facts.

[snip...]

  -Though there have been stories of cured autistic children, none of
   the methods credited with achieving these cures have produced any
   further cures.

[snip...]

  [more incontrovertable facts? -ed]

7) Treatment

  There is no standard, universally accepted treatment of autism; in
  fact, every single method has its detractors.  General approaches
  may be summarized as follows:

[snip...]

  [This list is far from complete at this time and misses some
  well-known treatments -ed]

[snip...]

  Eliminating dietary gluten/casein -

[snip...]

17) Initiatives

[snip...]

  CELIAC e-mail mamiling list - The Celiac discussion group is an open,
   unmoderated discussion list for those interested in Celiac Disease,
   dermatitis herpetiformis, gluten intolerance, wheat allergy, and
   co-incident intolerances, such as casein or lactose intolerance.
   The discussions will include the latest scientific research (written
   for the lay person); information on what food is gluten free and
   what is not; tips on how to eat out of the house, how to cope
   issues, including coping with the developmental delays and
   behavioral changes sometimes brought on or aggravated by gluten
   (Autism, Asperger's, Attention Deficit, etc.); recipes and tips on
   how to cook; and where to find gluten free food by mail order.  To
   subscribe, send the following command in the BODY of email to
   [log in to unmask] on the Internet:  SUB CELIAC
   yourfirstname yourlastname.  For example:  SUB CELIAC John Doe

[snip...]