Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 1995 21:53:06 -0700

I see two possibilities for gaining on the Gf diet:

1) your body is used to grabbing whatever it can (my calcium levels were
'normal' and I used to put away almost 2 litres of whole milk per day
without gaining weight) when not GF and once your gut heals those same
calories start to get absorbed. Same concept of people who diet a lot (in
CD unintentionally) and find it increasing harder to lose weight as the
body becomes short of nutrients and increasingly easier to gain even more
weight than that lost when they go off their diet.

2) fat starts to play a big role in CD as apparently the pancreatic and
bile systems are affected by Cd, hence the link between CD and diabetes.

Since beginning the GF diet and restricting intake of rice and corn which
are separate allergies I have lost about 20 lbs in 6 weeks. I have also
cut down dramatically on fat intake as per pancreatic concerns that come
up with celiac. I am still losing weight, was a stick as a kid, a chunky
teen, and went
through a period of a year and a half a few years ago when I weighed 105
(I'm 5'7). I got up to 135 when I had to stop exercising due to an
injury but I now see myself heading back down to low weights on the GF
diet. What I do notice is that if I have a week where my fat intake is
raised I don't feel as if the weight is coming off as fast. I am doing
very little exercise right now because I still feel fatigued (hope this
goes away).  I really believe it is , in my case, fat intake that is
making the difference.  This is a special case because I can't use most
GF flours therefore my diet is meat, veggies, and vitamins and iron
and calcium supplements. I've cut out dairy too because it upsets my stomach
so my fat intake must be quite low now. Just 2 cents worth from a CD
person who seems to be going every which way but up.

Lisa