From:
Richard Zucker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Mar 1995 13:14:19 EST

I will be traveling to Rome and Florence in May.  Any tips on food,
labeling, restaurants, celiac groups, how to buy GF foods, etc., would be
appreciated!

I already ordered the "Directory of International Coeliac Groups" from
The Coeliac Society of the United Kingdom, P.O.  Box No.  220, High
Wycombe, Bucks, Hp11 2HY England.  Thank you Celiac ActionLine.

Back in 1991 (I save these things), the GIG Newsletter recommended the
"Marling Menu-Master" series--pocket-sized books in English on "types of
eating establishments and the variety of foods they serve, eating
customs, eating hours, special ingredient information and
variations/specialties of regional cooking styles."

In other words, it may give me a fighting chance to uncover potential
problems I could never possibly anticipate, e.g., Americans put HVP in
tomato paste, or the beans next to my cheese enchiladas may be cooked in
beer (rare) or the sour cream may have modified food starch.

I just ordered The Marling Menu-Master for Italy, ISBN 0-912818-02-6,
Copyright 1971, available along with books on Spain, France and Germany
through the University Book Store, 4326 University Way NE, Seattle, WA
98105.  They are very helpful and take credit card orders by phone
(206-634-3400; 1991 price was $6.95 plus postage and handling).

According to GIG, within each section, e.g., "pasta/rice" or "main
courses," there is a detailed explanation about the method of
preparation, ingredients, variations, etc.  for every item.  It even
includes practice menus.

Unless the books have been updated, all this predates trendy food--but
then again, Italy has always been trendy!

GIG also says that they will provide lists of overseas support groups,
information on obtaining GF foods, local contacts, and "native language"
info sheets to show restaurant personnel.  If anyone from GIG is out
there, could you E-Mail that stuff to me and post it?  I also asked the
UK group to post their list if someone in their group has an Internet
connection.

This will be a great forum for sharing information on international
travel.

One marginally related note:  Whenever I tell anyone about this
"discussion group," I strongly recommend that they get daily indices.
Shouldn't that be the "default setting?"  The volume of E-Mail seems to
be scaring people to death, and if you're a typical busy, marginally
computer-literate person, it takes a while until you start to explore the
LISTSERV commands.  If we don't do something, the attrition rate is going
to climb, and that would be a shame.