From:
William Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 1995 06:51:57 GMT

Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]> said:

>Due to cost (Indian) restaurants rarely use ghee (which has lactose),
>but usually do use vinegar
>(cheaper than lime juice) when making their cheese.

My son has an allergy to casein,the protein in milk.  I have spoken to
the owner of Purity Farms, a major ghee company in Denver, and they
*claim* that there is no protein left in ghee, only milkfats.  I did not
ask about lactose, and I am curious if anyone else has checked on ghee's
content.

For those not familiar with ghee, it is clarified butter (also used in
some French cooking).  Ordinary butter is heated to boiling, and certain
residues rise to the top, and are skimmed off.  Other residues sink to
the bottom and are discarded.  The remainder has a long shelf life
without refrigeration.

Bill Elkus