From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 May 1995 14:42:10 -0400

I will totally agree with Julie that I am suffering from guilt and
frustration in raising children with special needs, ADHD, ADID and celiac.
Though they look absolutely normal people are always commenting on how
out-of-control my children are and if I did this and did that they wouldn't
be that way.  Also the guilt I feel that when Cody (the celiac) was sick I
wasn't forceful enough to get a quicker diagnosis.  He was starting to talk
and using 2 words ie what's that when he started getting really sick and
then he quit progressing and I feel that he regressed.  Now 1.5 years after
the diagnosis he is taking speech therapy because he is behind.  He was a
classic celiac and starving to death when he was finally diagnosed and
therefore I feel he missed out on a lot of his "brain food" due to the
severe malabsorption.  Because of family history and the possible celiac and
ADD connection we are having our ADHD son tested for celiac and watching our
celiac closely for ADD.  He may have learned behaviors from the two older
children with ADD but he may also be ADD.  I have fought red tape and am
somewhat a captive in the house because of the stares I get when out in
public and my children act out, I would rather stay home than become totally
frustrated and at the end of my rope.

I will continue to inform everyone on the results of testing my ADHD for
celiac and also if my celiac is ADD.

I am also just a mom and not a professional in the medical community are
these are my feelings and beliefs based on my childrens conditions and
treatments.

I would also like to thank all those that have given me the tips on books to
read, avenues to follow and just basically that our family is "not alone"

thanx everyone.

karen, edmonton, alberta, canada