From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 07:41:30 -0400

>I've asked this questions before, but I must admit that I still don't
>understand.  What is it about lime (calcium oxide, by the dictionary)
>that gives it the potential to contain gluten?

In the USA, when an ingredient does not have a "standard of identity", then
the manufacturer does not have to list the ingredients of that ingredient.
Lime does not have a "standard of identity", therefore the ingredients of it
can be what ever the manufacturer wants it to be.

On the subject of lime, I spoke with the head of the NOMSG group. She says
that the reaction she gets from "lime" is different from an MSG reaction
(which would be in HVP). She says it could be something else like sulfites.
So maybe I have stuck my neck out a bit far on this issue. But the
manufacturers do have their usual incentive to slip in HVP to make their
chip/tortilla better tasting than the others. I'm hoping some other
sensitive celiacs will post their reactions to such foods. I'm not willing
to try them again.

Don Wiss.