From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Nov 1995 10:20:12 -0700

I agree that circumstances play a big part.  My first endoscopy was done
with sedation, but I wasn't "put out",  I had a gagging reflex to the thing
in my mouth and was trying to get my free hand there to pull it out.  I
remember the nurse telling me to relax and holding my free hand so that I
couldn't get at my mouth. I also hazily remember something being pushed in
and pulled out of my mouth/throat. I had a sore throat after this procedure
and I attribute it to my fighting the procedure.

The next time I had it done I asked the doctor to give me enough medication
that I would be "put out".  I had no recollection of the procedure and no
sore throat.  To me the second time was better, but to each his own as some
people may be able to handle the procedure with only sedation, I just don't
happen to be one of them.

My young son was also "put out" for his procedure and he was up and running
around at home that afternoon with no ill affects.  He was 20 mths when the
procedure was done.

Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada