From:
Kathy Harden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 1995 10:54:06 CST

I have had diagnosed CD since 1991.  I am 36 years old and problems became
acute that summer but I am convinced I had symptoms for several years before
that.  I responded well to the GF diet and until December 1993, felt quite
healthy.  In Dec, I became very sensitive to detergents, perfumes, etc.  The
skin around my eyes was raw and sensitive and my eyes watered although they
felt dry.  I have found that avoidance is the only "cure".  Then, in Feb
1994, my hands and feet became acutely swollen shortly after a viral
infection.  My hands have never fully recovered.  The middle finger joints
and the fingers themselves are often swollen although this is not a hot, red
swelling as more typically seen with rheumatoid arthritis.  Secondary to the
swelling, my hands, wrists and arms become very sore and weak to the point
that writing or typing for more than a few minutes is difficult.  Both hands
seem to be equally affected.  I have been seen by an allergist,
rheumatologist, neurologist, endocrinologist and family physician in an
attempt to figure this out.  Although I do have a positive RF (rheumatoid
factor), I do not presently have full blown rheumatoid arthritis.  The
consensus seems to be that these problems are related to autoimmune
dysfunction.  I have several relatives w/ various autoimmune diseases (CD,
allergies, Grave's, Wegener's granulomatosis) but no one else seems to have
such an assortment of ailments!!  Sorry to go on so long, but I'm curious as
to whether others have experienced any of these difficulties.  One good
thing about all of this is that it has helped me have a better attitude
about CD.  I feel like I would give up ANY FOOD GROUP if my hands and eyes
would shape up!!  Thanks in advance for any input.
Kathy Harden