From:
Rosalie Jalbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 1995 14:47:09 EDT

What would happen if a giardia test was not done properly? My information
is that to have a properly done stool test, you must be off all antacids,
i.e. PeptoBismal before the tests can be done. If you were not informed of
that and continued on with the PB, wouldn't the test be negative?  Then if
you had a biopsy which showed abnormal villi, could you in fact, still have
the giardia? My next question would then be--how long does untreated
giardia stay in your intestine and what effects would it cause? Is this a
possibility for a wrong diagnosis??  One of the parasitic test kits say
that you should be off these medicines but no one was told that and when I
questioned a doctor, he said he was unaware of that condition for the test.
Rosalie