From:
John Dennis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 May 1995 07:28:48 -0400

Though my first blood test is negative for CD, I have long been aware of a
sensitivity to MSG or monosodium glutamate.  I believe that Glutamic acid,
one of the animo acids, is found in some protein.  Has the CD listserv
already discussed risks to celiacs posed by Chinese cuisine?  My wife is
Chinese, so we eat a lot of rice.  However, many of the canned and packaged
condiments have tended to include MSG (less frequent in recent years).

Kikkoman soy sauce (the premier brand) lists wheat after water and before
soybeans as ingredients.  Similarly, our bottle of mushroom soy sauce lists
wheat flour after water and extract of soya beans.  A can of Szusien "bran
dough" in our fridge appears to be an approximation of distilled gluten.  It
looks a bit like bean curd, but is stringier and chewier.

Has anyone devised a strategy for ordering a GF meal at a Chinese
restaruant?  Does MSG pose a risk to celiacs?

John Dennis
tell: 607-272-3323 fax: 607-277-4725 e-mail: [log in to unmask]