From:
"Robert F. Peterson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 1995 09:34:30 -0700

One of the difficulties in evaluating the usefulness of information about
a complex problem like allergies and GI problems is the reliability of
the test and the "truth" of the discovery. Our own experience and that of
others is valuable but are obviously open to lots of bias and error. So
are scientific and medical studies but they are an attempt to get "the
least ambiguous answer to a question," using sources of error control that
are not available with individual experience. Kinesiology testing, i.e.,
attempting to gage muscle weakness by noting resistance to holding one's
arms down in the presence of a suspected food appears to me to be a very
unreliable method for investigating allergy. If there are research
studies which show otherwise, I would be interested in knowing about them.

Robert Peterson
University of Nevada
Reno, NV