From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 1995 10:18:16 EDT

On April 6th, Karen Bulmer wrote:

> but I had already tried baking with potato flour and then found out that the
> recipe actually meant potato starch.  I would like to know if there is a
> difference when I see tapioca starch or tapioca flour, is it one and the
> same or two different things with different qualities.

I believe that tapioca starch and tapioca flour are the same thing.  At least,
in all the recipes we've tried that called for tapioca flour, we've used
tapioca starch and gotten good results.

On the other hand, I believe there is a difference between potato starch and
potato flour.  I think there is also something called potato starch flour,
though this may be the same as potato starch.  Many of the recipes we've seen
specify potato starch; very few specify potato flour.

Incidentally, if a recipe calls for "Betty Hagman's GF blend", it's referring
to the following mixture:

     6 parts white rice flour
     2 parts potato starch
     1 part tapioca starch