From:
jerry wald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jan 1995 20:59:10 -0500

On Wed, 11 Jan 1995, Wendy E. Betts wrote:

> Incidentally, you could be literally taking your life in your hands by
> deliberately continuing to eat gluten. Fairly strong correlations have
> been established between non-compliance with the diet and risks of
> getting lymphoma and other cancers. And some of the side-effects are
> dangerous and potentially irreversible--bone loss from lack of
> calcium, for example.

Wendy is so right. The celiac diet is a diet for life. When the medical
profession knew so little about celiac disease / sprue, they would say
things like "if you're putting on too much weight, eat some (bagels) to
cause a reaction to lose weight". NOT TRUE! They now know better than to
give such stupid advice. (At least I hope so).

Now, with such a wide variety of gf products available, it's much easier
than when my wife was first diagnosed some 25 years ago. She did "cheat"
because of the advice given at the time, but when she got really sick
later, she stopped cheating and has enjoyed excellent health since.

So folks, *please* don't knowingly cheat on the gf diet!

Jerry Wald