Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 15:01:48 -0500
From:
Kate Gregory <[log in to unmask]>

>         I can tell you from personal experience that gluten comes through
> the breast milk! If only I had known, it would have saved my daughter a
> year of extreme discomfort...

While I don't for a moment deny that this person's child was reacting
to gluten in breast milk, you should all know that it's far more
common for children to react to cow-milk proteins in breastmilk. One
study showed 75% of colicky children were "cured" in a week by removing
dairy from their mother's diet (breastfed babies, of course.)
Both my kids were dramatically improved by remving dairy from my diet,
and reverted to screaming fits when I reintroduced it. (I eat
gluten-containing products, btw.) By the time
they were a year old (they're 4 years apart) I could drink milk with
no problem, and before they weaned from the breast they were OK with
cows milk in a cup, cheese, yogurt, etc.

If gluten sensitivity is in your family, and you have a colicky
breastfed child, and you've already tried droppping milk and dairy
for a week without success, by all means try a gluten free diet for
a week and see if it helps. It can't hurt! But don't wean to
formula on the off-chance that something is coming through in
the milk -- allergic children are usually worse on formula, and
many are allergic to both dairy and soy. You may not be able to
get your milk supply back.

Kate