Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 1994 18:54:06 -0500

On 11/28 Karen Davis wrote answering a prior post on Dietary Questions
dealing with casein, and soy.:

I too thank you for the information. I have been a diagnosed Celiac for the
last 4 years and have also been thought to be lactose intolerant. It seems
there is something still wrong and I will try to eliminate casein and see what
 happens.  You might be interested in the fact that Boston Chicken will be
opening many outlets in the Southern Calif area within this next year. Some
might be open already. Carls Jr . purchased the rights to open 300 within the
next few years. Once one is open in  my area, I will want to make sure they
still are GF as they have been on the East Coast.  I look forward to them
offering a variety to Pollo Loco.

> 4.  Are there any seasonings that can substitute for soy sauce?

I have used San J Tamari, It is great, WARNING. It seems they make different
types. Some are wheat free and some are not. As usual reading the labels is
most important.

>- but in many recipes, especially things like fried rice, it
>will work just fine (giving a vague Thai/Vietnamese flavor to the >dish).
>I use Nam Pla in my fried rice and stir-fry dishes all the time - a
>bottle lasts a year or so, since I use about 1/4 as much Nam Pla as
> would soy sauce...

Since I was told that I had Celiac Disease, I have (with a lot of learning),
started baking bread, making my own pasta and in general learning how to cook
not only GF but learning how to cook. Strange learning for a 60 year old. The
thing I still miss the most is Oriental food. Can you suggest a cook book
that would teach the basics? Do you have any recipes that you could share? I
most like fried rice, and fried wanton. I love tea cakes in almost any
flavor. Maybe you could make that your next column in CDF Newsletter?.

>"Pain is Mother Nature's way of telling us to slow down;
                       Death is her way of INSISTING!"

Love your tag line.
Thanks again Boris Rapport