From:
Robert Hewitt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 1995 07:40:50 -0400

Tim & Kay Meadows wrote:

> A doctor at Rileys Childrens Hospital (Indianapolis, IN) told us that
> the blood test was much more reliable now and that a biopsy would
> probably not be needed.

The blood test for anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA test) has been around
for at least 3 or 4 years and is a very sensitive test for Celiac
disease.  However, this does not necessarily mean that there is no other
medical condition that will give a positive EMA test result.

Biopsy is considered the "gold standard" for celiac disease, or at least
it was a year ago.  From the advice given to Tim and Kay Meadows, I wonder
whether the EMA test is begining to be recognised as a reliable test for
Celiac disease.  Maybe when it has been around a while longer, and doctors
have had more experience of it, the EMA test might replace small
intestinal biopsy.  Has anybody else been given advice like that given to
Tim & Kay Meadows by the doctor at Rileys Childrens Hospital?

Robert Hewitt