From:
Kristine Renee Penner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 1995 08:10:51 -0700

On Mon, 10 Apr 1995, Ernest Lane wrote:

>From reading this list, I'm aware the use of wheat starch is not recommended.
> Old Windmill produces  "gluten free bread and baking mix" that contains
> "gluten free wheat starch" and makes a loaf of bread that in looks and
> texture resembles the real thing. They claim the gluten content is so low
> it can not be measured.  Do many people use this product? An acquaintance
> who has an extremely sensitive case of dermatitis herpetiformis has used
> this and shown no reaction.

Although I have not heard of that product, that would make sense if a
statement I heard is true. SOmeone once informed me that other grains
like corn, millet etc also have gluten, but much, much, much less than
wheat, barley, rye or oats.  If I eat too much corn, or if I consume a
product containing corn oil or corn syrup I have a reaction as if I've
had gluten.  I would be interested to hear if others have heard the same,
or have any of the same problems.
Sincerely,
Kristine Penner