From:
Laura Johnson-Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 1995 13:06:28 -0500

------------------------------
From: [log in to unmask] (Mike Snyder)
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 15:01:05 UNDEFINED

[log in to unmask] (Laura Johnson-Kelly) writes:

>Does anyone out there have a good recipe for rice beer (preferably dark and/
>or rich-flavored)?  I have a gluten intolerance and can't drink beer made
>from wheat, rye, oats, or barley anymore :(

>I've been told that all rice beer is very light, but I really like stouts
>and other full-flavored beers.  Any suggestions?

Someone else asked the question and this is what I sent them.  Please keep in
mind I have not tried this so I can't comment on the flavor.  We currently
don't carry the rice powder yet but probably will shortly.  I put together a
quick reference chart (titled Reinheitsgebot Not) that I compiled from various
sources.  It gives the recommended amounts of various fruits, veggies, spices,
and other sugars to use when brewing beer.  If you can read a Quattro or 123
file I'll attach it else reply with your snail mail address and I'll send it
to you.

---
I finally got the rice beer recipe.  She (my friend's friend) said she's still
perfecting it but this one works and it's not the tastiest beer but it's beer.
 She also said the molasses was mainly for color.

---

   3-21 oz cans/jars of rice syrup (be careful, some contain gluten)
   6 cups corn sugar (approx. 2 lbs)
   1 pint molassas
   2 oz Cascade hops (use whatever kind you like with AA% of 4 - 7)
   1 pkg Edme dry ale yeast

Bring 1-1/2 gallons of water to a boil.  Add all ingredients except 1 oz of
 hops.  Boil for 60 minutes.
Add 1/2 oz of hops (for hop flavor) 45 minutes into the boil.  Add 1/2 oz of
hops (for aroma) during the last 2 minutes of the boil.  Cool and add to cold
water in primary to make 5  gallons.  Pitch yeast when 80 deg F or below.
Ferment for 7 - 10 days and bottle using 3/4 cup of priming sugar.

Note: She couldn't remember the hop additions so I improvised.  If it comes out
 too sweet add more hops
for 60 minutes; too bitter, add less.

---

Happy brewing,

 << Mike Snyder                             [log in to unmask] >>
 << S.P.S. Beer Stuff, Homebrew Supplies by Mail (319) 393-1219 >>
 << on-line catalog-->  http://www.netins.net/showcase/spsbeer/ >>
Ithaca, NY, USA