Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 14:14:47 EST

>Quinoa was originally domesticated in the Americas (the typical quinoa is an
>andean plant, but another species was once cultivated by Native Americans in
>North America).  Are you sure that this reference was to quinoa rather than
>to sorghum or millet or something?  I was not aware that quinoa was grown
>much in Africa, and would be interested in finding out, if anyone in the
>group knows.
>
>Laura Johnson-Kelly

A little Web searching indicates that the reference
as most likely to MILLET
(veg soc of UK--says millet is an african staple crop because of it's drought
resistence), but I'm pretty sure I was reading literature sent to us with a
pound of quinoa.  It's very possible the author was just drawing parallels with
what we did to the Aztecs regarding quinoa to what was being done in Africa
with millet.  I'll check my references a little more carefully before spouting
off next time.