From:
Pam Lambert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 1995 10:07:49 -0700

I agree that our traditional notions of a "disease" don't fit how most of
us view ourselves.  I like "gluten intolerance" better and use it
whenever I'm explaining the full spectrum of what I have.  When I'm
eating out and need to ask about the food, I usually say I have a wheat
allergy and ask whether something is thickened with flour.  In all
likelihood that's the only forbidden product that it is thickened with,
and it's too much to explain the wheat/oats/rye/barley prohibition to a
waiter.  I don't care about the possible trace derivatives that might be
in the food, eg. vanilla extract, vinegar (highly unlikely in vegies and
rice, the old standby).

I am always surprised when I hear the gluten-free diet referred to as the
Diet From Hell.  I wonder if I thought that way eight years ago when I
was diagnosed.  I probably would feel that way if I were a child or had
children who needed to be closely monitored.  But I'm 38 years old and
grew up eating "regular" food.  Now I eat lots of good food and am happy
with my choices.  Often I'm glad that I can't eat all the baked goods,
especially the new fatfree ones, that I would snarf down otherwise.  The
things that I do miss (like angel food cake) I make occasionally with
adequate results (half the height but the same taste).  Yeah, if I could
"cure" this "disease" I would, but if this is the worst genetic
predisposition I have (and not one for cancer or ALS, for instance), then
I got lucky in the drawing for the gene pool.

Pam