Date:
Sat, 11 Mar 1995 10:02:57 -0500

Several people have emailed me privately based on a previously posted
message and requested the gluten free hamentaschen recipe.  Hamentaschen
are the traditional cookie eaten at the Jewish holiday of Purim, which
begins next Wed, 3/15.  This recipe is a slight modification of one by
Marsha Holowinko which was published in the Winter 1994 Lifeline (CSA).

4 eggs                                                 1 t. vanilla (gf)
1 c. oil                                                 1 1/2 cup sugar
1/4 t. salt                                            2 t. xanthan gum
4 1/2 cups gf flour*                             4 t. gf baking powder

*Flour mixture= 1 c.  each:  brown rice, white rice and sweet rice flour
plus 1/2 cup potato starch

Cream sugar and oil.  Add eggs.  Blend well.  Blend in vanilla.  Measure
dry ingredients together and then add to wet.  (For some reason it
doesn't work as well if you add the wet to the dry.)  Add dry ingredients
a little at a time, mixing as you go along.  When you can't mix with a
fork any more, use your hands.  Make sure flour is completely mixed in.
Either flour a board and roll with a rolling pin and then cut out 2 1/2"
circles OR (my seven year old's new technique, which I prefer) make a
small (superball size) ball and flatten into a 2 1/2" circle onto a
greased cookie sheet.  Put 1 t.  filling** into the center of the circle.
Roll up sides of circle so a triangle is formed and then pinch the edges
together.  Bake at 350 for about 10-15 min.

**FILLING:  You can use canned pie filling (ie.  SOLO, which is gf) or
jam or (my preference) an all-fruit product like Polaner's All-fruit,
etc.  Pick your favorite.

Enjoy and Chag Purim!

Nancy Dorfman