From:
Nancy Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 1995 12:27:19 +1000

The following information is offered to help American and other celiacs
cope with living GF in Australia.  It is based on my experiences during
two months' residence in Melbourne and Sydney.  For further information,
I can be contacted through 27 April 1995 here in Sydney
<[log in to unmask]> and thereafter back in the U.S.

GF FOOD SOURCES:  Rice and other nonwheat flours and various products
labeled GF are more widely available than in the U.S.  At least two major
supermarket chains, Coles and Woolworths, sell flour, corn pasta,
crackers, and whole-grain plain rice and corn cereals.  Every health food
store I have visited also has had a substantial variety of GF products.
Fresh GF breads are available at most health food stores, but likely to
be delivered only once a week and quickly sold out.  Asian grocery
stores, as in the U.S., are also good sources.  Lactaid tablets and
drops, made in the U.S.  according to a company representative, are
widely available at chemists (pharmacies) but expensive.

LABELS:  Food labels are similar to those in the U.S., but use a number
system for some ingredients.  A guide to the numbers is available in
chain bookstores but is not particularly helpful on issues we care about.
Avoid products containing numbers in the 1400+ range, which includes
various starch products.  I have had severe reactions to processed foods,
including pasta sauce, tahini, and sugared dry ginger, that indicated no
suspicious ingredients on their labels.  In Melbourne, I bought some
rolls whose only listed ingredients were rice and rice sourdough starter.
After eating one, I discovered the notation "not for coeliacs" elsewhere
on the label.  A company representative told me that there was "a little
wheat in the binder."  My gut agreed.  My guess is that small
manufacturers, in particular, may not be in complete compliance with the
labeling laws.  BEWARE!

CONTAMINATION:  The British standard for GF, less restrictive than the
American, is used here and is the basis for the diagnostic threshold in
the Home Testing Kit available from its Sydney-area manufacturer for $52
AU.  One sample each of the most widely available brown rice flour
(Lowan's) and a rice-only bread (Peter and Vicky's Bakery) flunked my
tests.  A sample of corn pasta passed.  I have switched, without
noticeable problems, to rice flour packed in Thailand, available from
Asian groceries.  A representative of the Coeliac Society of NSW sighed
deeply and said "yes, it's a problem" when I asked about contamination.

OTHER SENSITIVITIES:  The Australian labels are not very helpful for
celiacs with other sensitivities.  The source of vegetable oil in
crackers and other processed foods is rarely specified.  Almost all
breads sold in health food stores as GF contain soy.

INFORMATION is available from Coeliac Societies in each State.  The
Coeliac Society of NSW published a GF product list in 1991 and has
decided not to update that list but concentrate on providing information
about specific ingredients.  According to the 1991 list, all margarines
and processed cheeses in Australia are GF.  I have not tested that
assertion, which may reflect differences between Aussie and U.S.
standards.

EATING OUT challenges are similar to those in the U.S.  A restaurant card
such as the one available from GIG/NA is helpful.  Remember that most
meat served at Aussie barbecues is likely to have been marinated in
something not GF.  Most tourist area cafeterias sell green and fruit
salads.  Cappucino provides a few calories for those who can tolerate
lactose, but warn the server in advance that you want it "without
chocolate" to avoid the possibility of gluten in the cocoa powder that is
the standard topping here.  Australians are more likely than Americans to
recognize the term "coeliac disease," but recognition does NOT mean that
someone will understand all of the dietary restrictions.  Responding to
dinner invitations by saying, "I need to warn you that I'm the dinner
guest from hell," has worked well as an opener before telling prospective
hosts about my dietary restrictions.  Fortunately, my Aussie friends and
colleagues pride themselves on not using prepared sauces in their
cooking.

BRING ALONG:  Baking powder GF by local standards is available here, but
I am glad that I brought my own, along with jars of xanthan gum and
Cook's Vanilla Powder and some packets of Red Star yeast.  Agricultural
inspectors expressed concern only about the yeast, but did not pursue the
matter when I had trouble finding it.  I wish I had brought some rice
crackers and rice pasta.