Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 19:05:16 -0500
From:
Jenny Stadler <[log in to unmask]>

> There are Passover products made from wheat.  Matza is a good example.  It is
> unleavened bread.  Therefore, most likely Matza or any Passover products made
> from matza flour would contain gluten.  However, I don't know if these Matza
> products would contain as a high a gluten content as non Passover wheat
> products.
> If I am wrong on this would somebody in the discussion group please
> comment on this.
>
> David Smolkin

Actually, we just had a speaker on this in my support group yesterday.  I
don't think matza products are less gluten filled, because the matza
flour is just matza bread which has been ground up.  The bread is
wheat flour and water!

However, passover products that do not say they contain matza, matza meal
or cake meal are gluten free.  The products are made with the supervision
of very strict Rabbis (probably stricter than US!) and nothing that has
wheat, rye, oats, barley or spelt will be marked with a P for "Kosher for
Passover".  In fact, the woman who was speaking to us yesterday says she
gets some of her products for the rest of the year during passover,
because there are so many different GF items available, if you have a
kosher store near you.  Just don't eat anything with matza, matza meal,
or cake meal!

jen stadler