Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 4 Feb 1995 04:48:24 -0500
From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>

On Feb 3, 1995 Kevin Haney wrote:

>I think I saw in one of the messages that Natural Flavors is just
>another way of saying HVP.... Is this true?

Generally yes, especially if the product is in a can. In some type of
products, e.g. dairy and fruit oriented, it is used to hide whatever
the manufacturer would rather the consumer not see listed. For example,
on one premium ice cream it used to hide vanilla extract and carrageen.

Note that products that tout 100% or ALL Natural are *more* likely to
have hidden HVP, as the manufacturer is making a concerted effort to
deceive.  Also note that health food store brands have just as much, or
more HVP, than conventional ones. But they put greater effort into
hiding it as their consumers are looking more closely for it.

>What about Artificial flavors?

They're okay. Gluten is a natural substance.