Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 25 Jan 1995 09:30:21 PST
From:
Beth McLoughlin <[log in to unmask]>

To: Laura Johnson-Kelly:

First let me say that I have never been diagnosed celiac
through a biopsy, either.  After one bad bought of severe
diarreah that landed me in the hospital, my doctor preformed
all sorts of tests, and then, based on my symptoms, put
me on a GF diet.  I got better!  And when first on it, I did
cheat, and the symptoms returned, leading me to conclude
that he was right.  Unfortunately, when I moved within the
state a few years ago, a new doctor would hear nothing of
it.  "It's so rare, I doubt you have it.  Why don't you go back
on regular food for a month and we'll test you after that?"
Why not, doc?  Because if I am celiac, I'LL GET REAL
SICK, that's why not!  So I understand your questioning
your doctor.

My advice in this matter:  Put your daughter on a GF diet.
It certainly won't kill her, and may be better for her till she's
old enough to be properly tested.  Doctors seem so worried
that life will suffer unduly if you go on a restricted diet.  But
if you feel better and seem to function better physically, go
for it!

About Xanthum gum:  I have never had a problem with it being
bitter.  I know, though, that corn flour, called for in Bette Hagman's
pizza recipe, will produce a bitter taste.  You might want to change
her recipe as I did.  Use her general GF flour recipe instead of the
one listed, and I think it will taste better!  Also, I found it had way
too much salt for my taste, so I cut that down, too.

Continued wishes for a GF life!

Beth