VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Fri, 24 Jan 2020 21:05:02 -0800
8bit
From:
My various Google Drive issues are still not resolved. I'm posting
mostly for general edification. If anyone has any thoughts, of course,
feel free to share.

Last time I posted on this subject, I told you all that Google Drive
wasn't syncing and that it never stopped syncing and or loading information.

I resolved the syncing problem by reinstalling Backup and Sync and
making sure I went through the entire partially accessible setup wizard.

I haven't resolved the issue of too much stuff loading. At one point
during set up, I know I had the option to sync or not sync the Documents
folder. When I tried to find that option during subsequent
installations/setups, I couldn't, and when I tried going into Drive
settings, I couldn't find it either. However, when I got into some
options via the system tray icon, I discovered that Drive was indeed
trying to copy everything from Documents, which includes Audible books
and BARD books, into my Google Drive cloud storage. This explains both
why my cloud storage was full and why syncing never stopped (I have lots
of audio books, and they're big).

So feeling smug, I went into Drive on the web to mess with settings and
to remove the audio books. I discovered several things. First, while the
endless syncing is in progress, the Google web interface is very hard to
navigate. The page is slow, and many form controls appeared to be
unlabeled. Much later, when I made the syncing stop, the page was way
more accessible. Second, some of the controls mentioned in articles and
tutorials didn't seem to be anywhere. For example, there's supposed to
be a cloud icon that shows you what's been uploaded. I never found that.
Third, on the web UI, I could only access the files that were in my
Google Drive folder. I could not find the audio books and other folders
from my Documents. I knew they had to be somewhere. My Google Drive
folder said I had 2.3 GB worth of files. The web interface, which was
forever trying to finish syncing, said I had 14.6 GB worth of files and
counting. Fourth, the contents of my Google Drive folder had
mysteriously and tantalizingly tripled. I have roughly the same files in
my Dropbox and Google Drive folders. Dropbox showed slightly under 800
MB, and Google Drive had 2.3 GB. At one point while scrabbling around
the Google Drive web UI, I found that I had three copies of everything,
which explain the folder sizes, but when I tried to delete the extra
files, I somehow lost the screen, and when it came back, I only had one
copy of each file though the folder sizes remained unchanged.

What I did eventually was uninstall Google Drive from all my machines,
then go into the web interface to manually delete all my files. None of
the extra stuff showed up (e.g., none of the audio books and none of the
triplicate files), but the next day, I was only using a small amount of
my cloud storage.

If anyone has thoughts about what went wrong or tips about how to
improve the experience, I'm happy to hear them.

P.S. Yes, I've reported this information.