VICUG-L Archives

VICUG-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 2020 13:19:57 -0800
7bit
Sender:
From:
Hi All,

I'm curious to know what experiences others here have had with Google
Backup and Sync (formerly Google Drive). Mine is doing weird things, and
I'm not sure what's happening.

I think my two basic questions are these:

* Does Google Drive sync as it should for you? In other words, do the
right things appear and disappear across devices as you add or delete them.

* Do you have the right number of files and folders in Google Drive?

I have three devices: my desktop, my laptop, and my smart phone. I have
Dropbox and Google Drive installed on all of them. Whenever I work on
anything important, I copy it into both Dropbox and Google Drive. Over
the years, I've noticed that Dropbox always sincs as expected and that
Google Drive syncs intermittently, but because I'm usually in the middle
of doing something urgent when I notice this, I forget to check into it
later.

Lately I've been working with two laptops (i.e., the new one, which has
been buggy, and the old one, which is what I go back to when the new one
is acting up). Because the free version of Dropbox can be used only on
three devices now, I've been paying a lot more attention to Google Drive.

The first thing I noticed is that things are mostly not syncing. The
majority of the content that appeared on the new laptop is from about
five years ago though there is the random newer file or folder.

The second thing I noticed is that my phone seems to show two distinct
backups. One is from "today," and the other is from two or three years
ago. I removed the older one, but I'm a little confused about why
they're both there. While I was at it, I went into Drive on the web
(using my desktop if that matters) to remove some old teaching folders
with student work and a few more unrelated files.

The third thing I noticed happened the next day. Since the culprit
seemed to be my desktop, I read and followed some troubleshooting
information on Backup and Sync. Then I went into the system tray with
Windows+b to check for a status icon. It said I was syncing and was at
"117 out of 8216" (good) though I'm not sure whether that refers to
things like files or bytes as neither makes sense. I did something else
for half an hour, and when I checked again, I was only at "472 out of
8216." Eight hours later, I'm at "5179 out of 8216." I don't have a
powerhouse computer, but there really is no reason for syncing to take
this long. When I go into the Drive folder on the desktop, I notice all
the teaching folders are there (so not deleted from the web).

I'm wondering how well this will work going forward, and I'm wondering
what exactly is syncing.

Other experiences?

Ciao

Archived on the World Wide Web at